Unit 6 An old man tried to moved the mountains. Section B 1 (1a-2e) 一、教学目标：
1) 能掌握以下单词和短语：gold, emperor, underwear, silk, stupid, cheat,
stepmother, wife, husband, whole, scene, stone, shine, bright, as soon as
① One year, the weather was so dry that no food would grow.
② We thought you were never coming back.
It’s leading us to that wonderful house made of bread, cake and sugar.
④ The wife told her husband that unless he left the children to die in the forest, the whole family would die.
⑤ As soon as you wake up, you must go to the forest with your father.
Step 1 Review Let some Ss talk something about the Monkey King.
S1: The Monkey King is the main character in Journey to the West. S2: His name’s Sun Wukong. He is not just any normal monkey. In fact, he sometimes
does not even look like a monkey! S3: Yeah. This is because he can make 72 changes to his shape and size, turning himself into different animals and objects. S4: But unless he can hide his tail, he can’t turn himself into a man. S5: To fight bad people, he uses a magic stick. Sometimes he can make the stick so small that he can keep it in his ear. At other times, he is able to make it big and long.
Step 2 Warm up
1. T: Show one picture of the story The Emperor’s New Clothes.
2. Ask some questions about it.
e.g. 1) Look at the picture. Do you know this story?
What’s the name of this story?
S1: The Emperor’s New Clothes.
2) Can you tell the story briefly?
S2: Once upon a time, an emperor loved new clothes very much. One two brothers came to the city and made a special clothes for the emperor. They asked for much gold and silk, but they kept them for themselves. They pretended to work for a long time every day. The at last, the special clothes was OK. But nobody could see it. But No one said it until one young boy shouted that the emperor wore nothing.
Step 3 Presentation
1. Present the new words on the big screen and learn the new words together.
2. Ss read and try to remember the new words.
Step 4 Matching
Work on 1a.
1. Ask one student read words in 1a. Tell Ss to match the words with the letters in the pictures in 1b.
Match the words with the letters in the pictures in 1c.
____ underwear 2. Let some Ss tell their answers. Then check together.
Keys: b d c a 3. Try to remember the new words.
Step 5 Listening
Work on 1b.
1. Tell Ss to look at the pictures in 1c. Tell them these are the pictures from the story: The Emperor’s New Clothes. Listen to the tapes and number the pictures.
2. Play the recording for the Ss. Ss just listen for the first time. Play the recording again and number the pictures.
3. Check the answers.
Keys: 4 3 2 5 1 Work on 1c.
1. Let Ss read the sentences in 1c first. Tell Ss to listen again and fill in the blanks with the right words.
This story is about an emperor who loved _______.
Two _________ came to the city to make special clothes for the emperor. The emperor had to ______ them silk and gold, but they _____ everything for themselves. They were trying to cheat the emperor.
When the emperor ________ at himself, he only ______ his underwear. Nobody wanted to sound stupid. But suddenly, a young boy _______, “Look! The emperor isn’t _______ any clothes. ”
2. Play the recording again for the Ss to listen and write the words.
3. Ss listen to the recording carefully and try to write the right words.
4. Check the answers with the class.
Keys: clothes, brothers, give, kept, looked, saw, shouted, wearing Exercise: Listen and try to answer the questions?
1) What’s the name of the story?
2) Is it a traditional Chinese story?
3) What’s the emperor’s hobby?
4) Why were the new clothes special? 5) How do we know that the two brothers were really trying to cheat the emperor?
6) Why didn’t everyone say that the new clothes were really nice?
7) Who said that the emperor wasn’t wearing any clothes?
Keys: 1. It’s The Emperor’s New Clothes.
2. No, it isn’t. It’s from Europe.
3. He liked new clothes. He loved buying and looking at his new clothes.
4. Because people couldn’t see the new clothes unless they were clever.
5. Because they kept all the gold and silk for themselves.
6. Because they didn’t want other people to know that they were stupid.
7. A young boy. Step 6 Telling the story
1. Work in groups. Tell the story of The
Emperor’s New Clothes. Use the information in 1c and 1d.
2. Let some groups tell the story to the class.
Once upon a time, there was an emperor. He loved clothes very much. He loved buying clothes and looked at his beautiful clothes. Two brothers came to the city to make special clothes for the emperor. They said people couldn’t see the clothes unless they were clever.
In fact, the two brothers were really trying to cheat the emperor. They asked for much gold and silk and kept them for themselves. When the emperor looked at himself, he only saw his underwear. But he didn’t want people to think he was stupid. So he said his new clothes were really beautiful.
When the emperor walked through the street wearing his new clothes. Everybody said his new clothes were wonderful. Suddenly, a young boy shouted, “Look! The emperor isn’t wearing anything.”
Step 7 Presentation
1. Present the new words on the big screen and learn the new words together from 2a to 2e.
2. Ss read and try to remember the new words.
e.g. Luckily to her, her stepmother was kind to her.
n. 妻子; 太太
e.g. He phoned his wife to say he’d be late.
e.g. Mrs. Brown lost her husband in the crowd.
the whole + n.
all强调全部(数量上)all the + n.
e.g. All the students succeeded in the exam.
e.g. The last scene has been cut off from the film.
e.g. Thu sun was shining and the sky was blue. 阳光灿烂, 天空一片蓝。
e.g. The moon shines so bright tonight.
e.g. The sky is usually bright and blue.
e.g. Heavy snow has covered the ground.
e.g. Would you please to lead us around your factory?
e.g. I think Liu Yang is a brave soldier.
e.g. A man’s voice is usually lower than woman’s.
My cousin has a beautiful voice.
e.g. I woke at the sound of the bell.
Step 8 Talking
1. Show some fairy tales. Tell Ss a fairy tale is an old, traditional story. Do you know what these fairy stories are about?
2. Now discuss them with your partner.
3. Ask some Ss say what they know about the fairy stories.
e.g. Sleeping Beauty:
A lovely princess had to sleep for 100 hundred years because of an evil magic. One hundred years later, a young prince came and saved the princes. They got married and had a happy life.
Step 9 Reading
A fairy tale is an old, traditional story. Do you know what these fairy tales are about? Sleeping Beauty
Little Red Riding Hood
Sleeping Beauty A lovely princess had to sleep for 100 hundred years because of an evil magic. One hundred years later, a young prince came and saved the princes. They got married and had a happy life.
What other fairy tales do you know? Snow White and the Severn Dwarfs
The Ugly Duckling
Tell Ss the following is a fairy tale. It’s name’s Hansel and Gretel.
Hansel and Gretel are poor children. Their mother died because of a accident when they were 3 years old. Nowadays, they lived with their father and stepmother. The day, a bad news happened to Gretel and Hansel. It’s a mid-night, their stepmother advised their father to life the children to die in forest. Otherwise the whole family could die. Let’s look at the passage to know what happed next?
Ask Ss to read through the passage and decide what kind of text it is. Is it a letter, a play a short story or something else?
Ss may find out that it’s a play.
Fast Reading 1. T: Now let’s work on 2b. First, let’s read the questions and make sure we know the meanings of all the questions. Then read the passage quickly and find the answers to the questions.
2. Ss read the letter quickly and try to find the answers to the two questions.
3. Check the answers with the class.
1. T: Now let’s read the play carefully and try to match each description below with the correct scene.
A. The children get lost.
B. The children wake up. C. The children cannot find the pieces of bread. D. Gretel learns about Hansel’s plan.
E. The children surprise the parents. F. Hansel has to change his plan. G. The children learn that something bad is going to happen.
SCENE ONE _____
SCENE TWO ____
SCENE THREE ____
SCENE FOUR ____
SCENE FIVE _____
SCENE SIX _____
SCENE SEVEN _____
2. Ss read the play carefully and try to match each description.
3. Check the answers with the class.
Keys: GBDEFCA Post reading: Work on 2d
1. Now let’s work on 2d. First read the questions below. Then try to read the play again and find the answers to the questions.
1) Why does the wife tell her husband to leave the children in the forest? 2) What does Hansel go out to get? 3) Why does he do it in the moonlight? 4) How do Hansel and Gretel find their way home?
5) Why do Hansel and Gretel get lost the second time? 2. Ss read the play again and try to find the answers to the questions.
3. Let some Ss read their answers and correct their mistakes. 4. Ss check their answers with their partners.
Keys: 1. Unless he leaves the children to die in the forest, the whole family will die because they don’t have enough food.
2. He goes out to get some white stones.
3. He does this to make sure that when the moon is shining bright, they will be able to see the stones.
4. They followed the white stones home.
5. They can’t find any of the pieces of bread they dropped on the ground (because the birds may have eaten the bread).
1. One year, the weather was so dry that no food would grow. 有一年，天气太干旱了，以至于粮食颗粒不长。
so… that…是一个常见的句式结构，表示“如此……以至于……”, 副词so之后
的这个句子：That bird’s song is so beautiful that we would follow it.
2. We thought you were never coming back. 我以为你们再也回不来了。
We thought…表示人们过去的某种想法，判断等，可以译作“我们原想……; 我们本以为……”。如：I thought he would come, but he didn’t.
3. It’s leading us to that wonderful house made of bread, cake and sugar.
此句中made of bread, cake and sugar作定语，修饰名词house, 形容词wonderful也是house的定语。在英语中，大部分形容词作定语修饰名词时应前置，短语或句子作定语修饰名词时则后置。如：the young people in the room 屋子里的年轻人
4. The wife told her husband that unless he left the children to die in the forest, the whole family would die.
unless的意思是“如果不，若非，除非”，它引导的是一个条件状语从句，相当于if…not。因此，上面的句子改写为: …if he didn’t leave the children to die in the forest, the whole family would die. 5. As soon as the moon rises, we can follow them instead.
as soon as 表示
“一……就……”，再如本单元的这个句子：As soon as you wake
up, you must go to the forest with your father. 你们一醒来就必须和爸爸去森林里。
Step 11 Homework
1. Read the play again after school. 2. Try to act out the play in groups of four. One is Gretel, one is Hansel, one is Husband, one is Wife.